:: MONOCHROMATIX :: random stuff from the 604 :: MONOCHROMATIX ::

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Original Tandoori Kitchen (Burnaby)

Address: 110-3790 Canada Way
Burnaby, BC
V5G 1G4
Ethnicity: Indian

This particular restaurant was a recommendation by my cousin Audj. It used to be Planet India, which has gone somewhere else (?)

From outside looking in the restaurant looks very clean. They have nice mood-lighting tho it was a little dark for me. The aroma hits you hard when the door is opened, you may find yourself struggling to contain your drool :p

We were kind of questioning the restaurant as we were the only patrons there. It was empty when we got in. hmm. It was around dinner time as well, so we weren't quite sure what was going on. The Menus were very nice, and the list is pretty typical for an Indian restaurant.

For our appetizers AK decided on the Veggie Samosas and a plate of Indian Fries (Battered-fried potato fingers). The Fries were nice, I love anything with Indian herbs/spices, both dishes also came with a dipping sauce... I'm not sure what it was tho. Forgot to ask too.

Our main course consisted of Roti, Garlic Naan, Chicken Vindaloo, Butter Chicken & Rice :) What dinner is complete without rice? We had a choice of mild, medium or hot when it came to the currys. AK choose to have his Vindaloo mild and I chose hot for the Butter Chicken. Our waiter warned me that it was 'Indian hot' and I said that's fine. The Garlic Naan was suggested to us later by one of the waiters... more of an upsell than anything, but it was not too bad. I preferred the Roti, myself. AK enjoyed the Vindaloo, now he knows what Lister (Red Dwarf) eats for breakfast, lunch & dinner. The Butter Chicken really hit the spot for me :D it's been ages since the last time I had Butter Chicken and this was among the best that I've had... It wasn't very hot despite the warning. AK sweating from his Vindaloo (?) hehe. Unfortunately I had eaten a bit earlier so I didn't finish it all. We ended up taking some of the food to go.


Blurry picture of my Mango Lassi

For desert we ordered one of each: Gulab Jamun (Indian doughnut in warm sugar and rose water), Mango Ice Cream, Ras Malai (Home-made cheese patty, served cold with pistachios). AK had the ice cream and I tried one of the Gulab Jamun... I'm pretty sure I'd had it before, very sweet, nice flavor. And the Ras Malai I had not had for over 2 years! Wow, I must learn how to make it :p, fat chance.

I guess I'll just have to go back ;)

4 Comments:

Blogger carolyn said...

Looks delicious! I love butter chicken and naan. Now you are tempting me to go get some North Indian food. Hehe.

How does the Ras Malai taste like? Have not seen that on the menu in Singapore.

10:23 PM  
Blogger monochromatix said...

oo, I love Ras Malai. I'm not sure how to describe the taste :| Last time I had a debate with my Indian friend :p I think it tastes like cheese but he was saying that he couldn't taste it (?) dunno. All I can say is that it's sweet... almost 'condensed milk' sweet :D and it's GREAT!

5:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Omg.. i love mango lassi! The food looks good!

10:27 PM  
Blogger monochromatix said...

:) The food was great!

*sigh* I wish I had more time/money to go out to eat.

I used to spend waaay to much money eating out, so I've tried to break that habit... hence the lack of restaurant reviews :p

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home